8.23.2009

# Books # lifestyle

The Lost Art of Letter Writing


I am in the process of reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society- a wonderful book by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. My review for this book is forthcoming as I haven't finished it yet but it has already inspired me so much I had to post a blog on the novel's most unique key aspect- it is written entirely in the form of letters (I will not go into the contents of these letter now- that will be in my review). But these letters- so cleverly and warmly written had me putting my book down and wanting to write a letter of my own.

It has been ages since I've written a letter. You know, a proper letter- not a card- but a simple letter with no agenda other than to say hello to the recipient and to let them know what is going on in my life. So I brought out my stationery- a heavyweight lavender colored paper from Papyrus- and began to write. It felt good to write this letter. I've been blogging, facebooking and tweeting so much that I almost forgot what it was like to allow my hand float across paper- to allow my thoughts to be transcribed by a pen. I did notice (with dismay) that my handwriting has taken a significant beating. In my college days I had beautiful handwriting and was often complimented on it. Now it is has turned from a beautiful flowing script to a rather pained looking form of chicken scratch. Oh dear- this is something I need to work on!

Handwriting aside, I completed my old fashioned letter which is to be sent to a relative of mine in England. It is sitting next to my lap top right now as I speedily type this at 69 wpm- staring at me and enjoying the simplicity and slowness of its nature...

Image courtesy of: leonofnewyork.com

5 comments:

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

I love receiving letters so much! I have a friend who often posts long chatty letters with thoughtful gifts and presented beautifully. I am a shocker in replying but I am working on it. I've noticed there is definitely a swing towards the snail mail by the young hip set in Australia. I saw a website the other day you can join and send a postcard to a total stranger in the world and receive postcards from other members. It's a free service and started by another person who loves to get 'real mail' I will have to finish my letter to my friend. I have collected several gifts for her and written two letters and a year later it's still waiting to be posted! xx

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Hi Josephine- I love the idea of sending postcards to total strangers. Do you know the name of the website? Sign me up! Although my husband might think it weird if I start receiving post cards from strange men... hmmm. lol

It's never too late to send your letter. I'm sure when you get around to it your friend will be delighted! xo

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

Here it is lovely. Happy letter writing! xx
http://www.postcrossing.com/about

Unknown said...

Thanks Josephine! I will check it out xo

Cathy said...

As a young girl being raised in Pasadena, CA, my mother taught me how to write an interesting letter. She also taught me to never use notebook paper. I once wrote a 3-page letter on college-ruled paper—which my mother immediately ripped up before my young eyes and said “begin again”. THAT never happened again! But today, at a certain age, I still write the old fashioned letter...particularly to a friend in Simi Valley. She has never left the 1940’s. She and I have been closet “Lucy Ricardo” fans for ions. Emails are only for emergencies, and truly it had better be an emergency. I try to send a card or letter to each of my friends at least once a year. A handful use to complain that my letter could have received a faster response had I emailed (or texted, which, I still do not do). But now, they commend my effort and tell me it is the bright spot of their mail experience to see a postal envelope from me stuck amid the many bills. Nice.